March 8, 2017 Regular Town Board Meeting Minutes
REGULAR MEETING of the Town Board of the Town of Pomfret held at 6:30 P.M. March 08, 2017 at the Pomfret Town Hall, 9 Day Street, Fredonia, N.Y.
Supervisor Donald Steger
PRESENT: Town Clerk Allison Dispense
Highway Superintendent Daniel Bigelow
Town Counsel Jeffrey Passafaro
ABSENT: Brett Christy
Supervisor Steger led the Pledge of Allegiance of the Flag.
DULY MOVED by Supervisor Steger to accept the minutes of the February 8, 2017 Town Board Meeting. The motion was seconded by Councilman Sedota and the motion carried.
DULY MOVED by Supervisor Steger and seconded by Councilman Schaeffer to approve the payment of bills as presented by the Town Clerk on Abstract # 3 of 2017 with one addition for $250.00 to NY Legal Publishing. The motion was carried unanimously by a roll call vote.
General Fund Town Wide $15,710.40
General Fund Part Town $2,070.40
Highway Fund Part Town $11,001.04
Berry Road Water District $55.86
Chestnut Road Water District $33.00
North End Water District $199.72
Van Buren Water District $90.00
Lily Dale Sewer District $374.04
TOWN CLERK REPORTS
- Pomfret Town Justices reports for February 2017 are as follows:
Total Fines & Surcharges: $14,855.00
Justice Dietzen Total Cases: 151
Total Fine & Surcharges: $15,045.00
- The Historian report for March 2017 is on file with the Clerk’s office and has been distributed to the Town Board.
- The Fredonia Fire Department submitted the January 2017 report. There were a total of 152 calls with 29 being within the town.
- Town Clerk Dispense has asked for permission to attend the annual IIMC (International Institute of Municipal Clerks) Conference from May 21-24, 2017. A motion made by Supervisor Steger, seconded by Councilwoman Eckman to authorize Town Clerk Dispense to attend the annual conference at a reasonable cost to the town which has been budgeted by the Town Clerk. The motion carried.
- The Town Clerk advised the board she is looking into alternate phone services and email hosts for the town.
- Village of Fredonia trustee Doug Essek addressed the board. Mr. Essek presented to the board about opening talks for shared services between the Village and the Town. He is very interested in working closely with the Town in trying to save costs for the community members. Councilwoman Eckman agreed with Mr. Essek and will work with Councilman Christy to set up a meeting with both boards to hold a meeting open to the public.
- Supervisor Steger made a motion to appoint the following as additional court officers for the Town of Pomfret; Jacob Berger of 20 Lakeview Ave., and Michael Callender of 5215 West Main Rd. The motion was seconded by Councilwoman Eckman and carried.
- Supervisor Steger made a motion to authorize Evelyn Sievert to spend $100.00 towards the Easter festivities at the Laona Playground on April 15, 2017. The motion was seconded by Councilman Sedota and carried.
- Councilman Schaeffer made a motion to approve the following resolution, seconded by Councilwoman Eckman and carried by a roll call vote:
WHEREAS, the Town Board of the Town of Pomfret previously adopted a resolution dated January 11, 2017 authorizing the Highway Superintendent to purchase a new vehicle for the Highway Department from the County of Onondaga, State of New York contract bid award, and
WHEREAS, the Town of Pomfret did attempt to place an order pursuant to that authorizing resolution for a 2018-Freightliner in the amount of ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-ONE THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED SEVENTY-NINE ($121,479.00) DOLLARS from Fleet Maintenance, Inc., and
WHEREAS, the authorization also included the purchase of Everest Plow Equipment Package under the same Onondaga County contract, reference number 7823, from Valley Fab and Equipment, Inc. for NINETY-FOUR THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED NINETY-EIGHT ($94,298.00) DOLLARS, all of which was to be installed on the 2018 Freightliner, and
WHEREAS, it has now come to the attention of the Town of Pomfret that Fleet Maintenance, Inc. is not a contractor authorized to execute the Onondaga County contract award number 7823 for heavy duty Class 8 trucks with dump bodies, snow plows, and associated options and accessories,
NOW, THEREFORE RESOLVED, that the resolution of the Town Board dated January 11, 2017, authorizing the purchase from Fleet Maintenance, Inc. of a 2018 Freightliner in the amount of ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-ONE THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED SEVENTY-NINE ($121,429.00) DOLLARS is hereby annulled, cancelled, and terminated and of no further force and effect, and it is further,
RESOLVED, that the same resolution authorizing the purchase of an Everest Plow Equipment Plow Package for said truck from Valley Fab and Equipment, Inc., is also annulled, cancelled, and terminated and of no further force and effect.
- Councilwoman Eckman made a motion, seconded by Councilman Sedota and carried by roll call vote;
WHEREAS, the Town Board of the Town of Pomfret has heard from the Highway Superintendent regarding the need for a new vehicle with plow equipment for the Town of Pomfret Highway Department, and
WHEREAS, the truck, chasses, equipment and plow equipment may be purchased from the County of Onondaga, State of New York contract award bid number 7823 for Class 8 heavy duty trucks, chassis, with dump bodies, snow plow, and associated accessories, which Onondaga County contract award allows for other municipalities in the State of New York to use in said purchases as permitted under Section 103 of General Municipal Law, and
WHEREAS, the Highway Superintendent has identified a specific vehicle, equipment and plow equipment, and
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Town Board of the Town of Pomfret does hereby authorize the purchase of a 2018 Freightliner, together with options, extended warranty, and Everest Plow Package for a total sum of TWO HUNDRED FIFTEEN THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED SEVENTY-SIX AND 67/100 ($215,776.67) DOLLARS from Mohawk Valley Freightliner. Mohawk Valley Freightliner is specifically recited as an authorized vendor under Onondaga County contract number 7823.
- Supervisor Steger has signed the Arkwright Wind Farm Summit Road use agreement on behalf of the Town. It is on file in the Clerk’s office.
- The Code Enforcement Officer, Warren Kelly, has notified the property owners of 4627 West Main Rd, there will be a sight investigation on Wednesday, April, 12, 2017 at 1:30P.M. The Town has contracted a NYS licensed Architect to go thru the property and present back to the board.
- The Grape Discovery Center has sent correspondence to the Town regarding their upcoming season of activities.
- Supervisor Steger has received correspondence from the Assessor’s office regarding the Notice of tentative railroad ceiling. It is on file in the Clerk’s office.
- Councilman Sedota questioned the Highway Superintendent about keeping the old plow truck which is being replaced by the new 2018 Freightliner. Mr. Sedota stated he was under the impression the town would be declaring it surplus. Mr. Bigelow stated the old truck will be kept as a spare and used as an as needed basis. The Town currently does not have any spare plow truck.
- Councilwoman Eckman attended a meeting with the Village of Fredonia and the NYS DOT regarding the intersection at RT.20 & Rt. 60. There have been improvements made in regards to the medians and also how the new round-a-bout will affect local businesses. The state is conducting some final modifications and will meet again with both the Village and the Town once final.
- Councilwoman Eckman, Town Clerk Dispense, and Councilman Schaeffer will be attending the Fredonia Chamber of Commerce annual banquet on March 23, 2017 on behalf of the Town.
HIGHWAY SUPERINTENDENT BIGELOW
- Mr. Bigelow returned from the Advocacy Day in Albany. He reported it went well and was very well represented by Highway Superintendents across the state. He is hopeful for the upcoming budget year.
- The Town has received their new lawn mowers for the cemeteries.
DULY MOVED by Councilman Schaeffer, seconded by Councilman Sedota to adjourn the Regular Town Board meeting at 7:28 P.M. The motion carried.